HPLIP Installation Information
There are three questions that you should consider before downloading and installing the HPLIP software:
Is my HP printer supported by HPLIP?
HPLIP supports 2412 HP printer models so it's more than likely your HP printer is supported. However you may want to first check the Supported Printers page to verify that your HP printer is supported and/or that all features for your printer are supported.
Is HPLIP already installed on my system?
Not all users need to download and install HPLIP. Your Linux distribution may have already provided HPLIP to you and you may prefer to use that pre-packaged version. Please follow the guide on our Should you install the latest HPLIP? page to determine if HPLIP is already present on your system.
Do I need a newer version of HPLIP?
Once you have determined that HPLIP is already installed (see, Is HPLIP already installed on my system? above) you will likely only need a newer version if either:
- You have a newer printer that is not supported with the currently installed HPLIP version, or
- There are bug fixes or feature enhancements with a newer HPLIP version.
Please follow the guide on our Should you install the latest HPLIP? page to determine if a newer HPLIP version suits your needs.
Automatic or Manual Installation?
HPLIP downloads are available as an Automatic Installer package and as a Manual Install Tarball package. We recommend that most users use the Automatic Installer (provided your Linux distribution is supported by this method). If your distribution is not supported by the Automatic Installer, you will need to perform a manual install.
The HPLIP Automatic Installer
The Automatic Installer is known to work on the following Linux Distributions:
- SUSE Linux (12.2, 12.3, 13.1, 13.2)
- Fedora (17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22)
- Linux Mint (13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 17.1)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux (6.0, 7.0)
- Boss (3.0, 5.0)
- Ubuntu (10.04, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10, 14.04, 14.10, 15.04)
- Debian (6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.10, 6.0.2, 6.0.3, 6.0.4, 6.0.5, 6.0.6, 6.0.7, 6.0.8, 6.0.9, 7.0, 7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.5, 7.6, 7.7, 7.8, 8.0)
To use the Automatic Installer, follow these steps:
- Download the file to a convenient location (e.g., home directory or desktop, etc).
- Open a console/terminal and cd to the location where the installer was downloaded. (e.g., cd ~/Desktop)
- Type in and run this command: 'sh hplip-3.15.6.run'
Additional instructions on using the installer are available on the Installer Walkthrough page.
Note: Do not run the Automatic Installer as root/superuser. However, you will need to have root/superuser access to complete the install.
Manual Installation: The HPLIP Source Code Tarball (Only Recommended for Advanced Users)
While this is the more traditional method to download and install HPLIP, it requires a degree of knowledge that users new to Linux may find more difficult than they would prefer. It requires that you manually install dependencies and run build and install commands in a console/terminal. To use it, follow the directions at our Manual Installation Instructions page.
If your python version is 2.6 or greater, please download this Download Tarball.
To run the installer manually, after extracting the tarball, cd into the 3.15.6 directory and run hplip-install.
Or, if python version is 2.5 or less, please download this HPLIP tarball.
To run the installer manually, after extracting the tarball, cd into the 3.15.6_py2.5 directory and run hplip-install.
Older/Archived Versions of HPLIP
Older versions of HPLIP are also available. Consult this page for a complete list: